Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Introducing Doodlie-doo

We're here once again at the end of a monthly Papertrey Ink countdown. We've had lots of great inspiration for you this month. Feathers to herringbone, birthday to polka dots. Today, we've got a floral themed set that has a touch of whimsy to it. Doodlie-do will be a fun one to join your stash. It is so playful and will make you want to be playful as well.


First up, I dug through my embellishment drawer to find the perfect accent to the flowers. There are lots of open circles drawn into the flowers in this set. Michael's has these gem and pearl variety packs  (I think they are $7.99, but I get them on sale) that have the same colors in like seven different sizes in the same box. They are great for finding the perfect match to all the holes in the floral elements of Doodlie-do.

On this card, I accented all the open circles with black pearls. We've got little ones, we've got big ones, we've some in between. It is the consistency in the embellishment color and style (not the size) that pulls this all together.

My background is stamped in BB: Diagonal using True Black ink on Smokey Shadow cardstock. I created a vellum window using the Stained Glass dies (perfect for this because of that outer frame they cut!) and embossed a sentiment from Comfort Words in black on vellum.


Here's a close up of the pearls accenting the floral spray in Doodlie-do. I think I've got four different sizes of pearls here. Love this accent.


Next up, I went all old school with the technique. When was the last time you pulled out your chalk? Mine had a thick layer of dust on it. :) I started out with a white A2 panel and repeatedly stamped elements from Doodlie-do in Versamark. Next, I went over it in chalk. The Versamark lines take on more of the pigment and are darker than the surrounding areas. But still pretty and soft.

I overlaid a Cover Plate: Heart cut on top of my chalked panel. This really highlighted the gradient color from purple to pink. Next, individual die cut elements from Doodlie-do got the same chalk treatment and were placed on the card with vellum cuts from the Turning a New Leaf dies. Sentiment is from Doodlie-do.


I will definitely being using more chalk in the future. Love the ease of application and softness it creates. Very easy to shade from one color to the next without a harsh line between colors.

OK. That's it from me. I'll be back tomorrow with the rest of my release projects. One of which still needs to be done...better hop to it! More inspiration below. And remember, all Papertrey Ink products featured here will be available at 10 PM EST at www.papertreyink.com. Thanks for joining me this month.

Danielle Flanders

Supplies

Today and Always Card
Stamps: Doodlie-do, Background Basics: Diagonal, Words of Comfort
Cardstock: True Black, Smokey Shadow, Simply Chartreuese, Stamper's Select White
Dies: Stained Glass, Doodlie-do
Vellum
Ink: Simply Chartreuse, True Black
Vellum
Pearls
Black Embossing Power

Chalked Card
Stamps: Doodlie-do
Dies: Doodlie-do, Double Ended Banner, Turning a New Leaf, Cover Plate: Hearts
Soft Stone Bitty Dot Patterned Paper
Cardstock: Stamper's Select White, Winter Wisteria
Canvas Vellum
Chalk

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous cards! I love, love, love the second one! You're right! My chalks haven't been used in too long. I'm going to try this awesome technique. thanks for always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get enough of your background set, Erin. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love your cards Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Erin! Both of these are so different and so beautiful. Love the black and green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely designs today Erin! I can't wait for your new background set to land at my house. Your background piece is wonderful using chalks. I think mine are covered in dust too ;) (Love all the old-school techniques today; you used chalks, Cristina used Prismas, and simple white embossing from Danielle!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards! Love the black and green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the chalk technique. They are both beautiful cards .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty cards!! I love how you used this stamp set!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the flowers withe hearts combined! Great cards!

    ReplyDelete