Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fall Wreath with the Beaded Holiday Stitch Kit


I've got a project to share with you today for Halloween. It might be a little late to get one done yourself for the big night next weekend, but you can certainly use the idea and turn it into a Christmas or winter wreath here in a few weeks. There's still plenty of time for that! I'll be making one or a few myself and I'll be sure to share those with you when I do. 

Fall Clothes Pin Wreath using the Papertrey Ink Beaded Stitch Kit and Halloween Pin Ups


For years, I have seen projects on Pinterest making wreaths out of colored clothes pins. Never had time for all that. It would require me to bust out the paint to color those clothes pins and that didn't really appeal much to me. But then Betsy put out her Halloween and Christmas Pin Up Kits, which included handy little dies to cut paper to perfectly fit medium size clothes pins and I could finally put all that wonderful Pinterest inspiration into action. And while I was at it, I could add some great felt accents to my wreath from my line of stitching dies. YAY! 

Covering Clothes Pins is Easy with the Halloween Pin Up Collection from Papertrey Ink

Covering the clothes pins was incredibly easy and didn't take much time at all. I used four sheets of patterned paper. There's Canyon Clay Gingham, Orange Zest Stripe, Terracotta Tile Bitty Dot, and Harvest Gold Polka Dot patterned papers. I used a total of 3/4 a sheet each. So for less than fours sheets of paper, I was able to cover 62 clothes pins. The clothes pins are from Walmart and are the Mainstay brand.  Used a little over a pack to complete this project. 

I even seized opportunity with the glue. I bought a bunch of school glue on clearance at Target in September. Paid like $0.17 a bottle. Used a sponge brush to apply the glue to the clothes pin, and then hot glued the clothes pins onto a chipboard wreath I bought at Hobby Lobby on sale for $.2.00. This really was pretty inexpensive to put together. This phase of the project took me just a hour or so on a Sunday afternoon at the kitchen island. I was able to be in the middle of all the football madness, but happily occupied with something that made me happy. 

Three Fall Stars from the Papertrey Ink Beaded Holiday Stitch Kit


It took me awhile to come up with how I wanted to decorate this wreath. I stitched BOO into the Tag Sale #1 Die using the Cross Stitch Alphabet. The nice big size really stands out, as does the white stitching against the True Black cardstock. The clothes pins still open, so it was easy to position the tags. They are just being held by the pins.

I did know I wanted to use the Beaded Star from the Beaded Holiday Stitch Kit. And after making my Fall Bowl Filler, I fell love with the black and grey polka dotted pumpkin star. The Terracotta Tile Pumpkin Face against the black and grey just charms me. So I needed to add him in. But the two stars on the side that I wanted to join him? That was what had me scratching my head for the perfect solution for a week or so.

Beaded Holiday Stitch Kit Star and Stitched Medallion 1 on Black Gingham from Papertrey Ink

Luckily, the solution came to me. Black and white gingham stars with a felt design created by the Stitched Medallion 1 die. LOVE LOVE LOVE how this turned out. And what a nice fit. Both the Stitched Medallions and the Seasonal Stitches: Pumpkin Face fit nicely on the star from the Beaded Holiday Stitch Kit. Proofs in the pudding. 

In case you want to try this all out yourself and are just stumbling on this blog post, here's some helpful links for you.

If you are interested in adding the kit to your crafting arsenal, it is still available. Not only do we have instructional videos to help you create perfect projects, but the kit comes with step-by-step instructional PDF's that you can print out and use as reference. And if you need any more help, I'll be available on the PTI forum to give you a hand. We support you each step of the way with the PTI Stitching Dies. 

I'm planning on making more clothes pins wreaths here in the not so distant future for the holidays. Both the Stitched Mitten and Stitched Stocking included in the Beaded Holiday Kit would look darling instead of the stars to make it more seasonally appropriate. And just another way to get some use out the kit. So many fun ideas.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see some wreaths that you make soon. 










4 comments:

  1. Love your wreath, Erin! It's a new way to stretch the supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable!! Such a creative way to make an adorable wreath!1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you just the crafty genius, Erin? Great way to stretch those dies and use up one's hoarded papers. What a fun and fabulous Fall wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - I got the beaded holiday kit and I totally love it. I had never tried the stitching dies until I got the Stamp Affaire kit with the necklace die in it and I fell in love. Have been enjoying making many necklaces. Sooooo - when you came out with the Holiday Stitching kit I had to have that also. Now it is great to have more ideas to use these great dies with!

    ReplyDelete